DC’s Wonder Woman to lasso up Library Card Sign-up Month 2020
Fans can learn more about Wonder Woman at DCcomics.com. Since her introduction in October 1941 in All-Star Comics #8, Wonder Woman has graced comics, video games, headlined her own television show and feature films, and appears in the hit animated series “DC Super Hero Girls” on Cartoon Network and Netflix.
Ways to Celebrate
1. Visit your library.
Visit your library online to see what's new and take part in the celebration. Libraries across the country are participating. Do you have friends who don't have library cards? Invite them to sign up during September.
2. Show us your library superhero pose for a chance to win $100.
Having a library card makes you feel like a superhero with all the amazing things it gives you access to, including technology, media resources and educational programs. This Library Card Sign-up Month, show us your best superhero pose for a chance to win $100. Help spread the word by striking a library superhero stance with your library card and posting it to Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #LibraryCardHero. You’ll be automatically entered to win a $100 Visa gift card. Entries can also be submitted by posting as a comment or wall post on the I Love Libraries Facebook page. Don't forget to cover up any personally identifiable information on your library card, and please tag your library!
The promotion begins Tuesday, September 1, at noon CT and ends Tuesday, September 22, at noon CT. All librarians and library lovers are encouraged to participate.
The #LibraryCardHero promotion is open to residents of the United States, Washington, D.C., and U.S. Territories. Employees of the American Library Association are not eligible to participate.
3. Help spread the word.
Sample social media posts:
- Yay—September is #LibraryCardSignupMonth! Celebrate by getting your very own library card. Visit your library’s website for more information.
- Make sure your kids have the most important school supply of all—a library card! Get one this September and kick off the school year right. #LibraryCardSignupMonth
- Do you have a library card? September is #LibraryCardSignupMonth so get one today! Check out your library’s website to learn how you can access movies, eBook’s, video games and much more.
- There is nothing more empowering than getting your own library card. It gives you access to technology, resources, and services to pursue your passions and dreams. #LibraryCardSignupMonth
- Sign up for a library card and find something wonderful at your library! From virtual Storytime to audibooks to DIY classes, there is something for everyone. Happy #LibraryCardSignupMonth!
4. Play Library Card Sign-up Month Bingo with us!
We created a special library-themed bingo card for Library Card Sign-up Month this September. Mark off all activities you do throughout the month and once you get bingo, tag us (@ALAlibrary on Twitter, @americanlibraryassociation on Instagram) and share your board online using the hashtag #LibraryCardSignUpMonth.
5. Display a window or yard sign to show your library love.
During political campaigns, yard signs abound. They're a great way for citizens to proclaim their support for a candidate or issue. Why not display a window or yard sign that proclaims your support for libraries. Use our templates or get creative and make your own.
Library Card Sign-up Month History
The campaign started in 1987 as a response to then Secretary of Education William Bennett, who stated, “Let’s have a campaign … Every child should obtain a library card and use it.” Read a detailed account in this 2015 blog post at the American Library Association Archives, A Library Card for Every Child: Library Card Sign-Up Month, by Cara Bertram.
Thank you to DC Comics for offering Wonder Woman as 2020 Library Card Sign-up Month Honorary Chair!