The Incredibles are Honorary Chairs for Library Card Sign-up Month 2018!
September is Library Card Sign-up Month, a time when the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries nationwide join together to remind parents, caregivers and students that signing up for a library card is the first step towards academic achievement and lifelong learning.
This September Disney Pixar's superhero family, the Incredibles, will team up with the ALA to promote the value of a library card. As honorary chairs, the Incredibles will remind families, students and people of all ages that signing up for a library card is a great step toward a truly super lifestyle: libraries offer fun and informative resources to help you pursue your passions and succeed in school.
In Incredibles 2, in theaters starting June 15, Helen (voice of Holly Hunter) is in the spotlight, while Bob (voice of Craig T. Nelson) navigates the day-to-day heroics of “normal” life at home when a new villain hatches a brilliant and dangerous plot that only the Incredibles can overcome together.
Ways to Celebrate
1. Visit your library.
Head to your library during September to see what's new and take part in the celebration. Libraries across the country are participating. Do you have friends who don't have library cards? Invite them to the library.
2. Tell us why your library is incredible for a chance to win!
Libraries have and do amazing things—they give everyone a chance to explore their passions and become their best selves through media, resources, lifelong learning, and more. In honor of our 2018 Library Card Sign-up Month Honorary Chairs, the Incredibles, we want to know: what makes your library incredible?
Share your answer using text, photos, or a short video on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #MyLibraryIsIncredible. Entries can also be posted directly to the I Love Libraries Facebook page. One randomly selected winner will receive a VISA gift card worth $100.00 USD. Need a prop? Download this printable PDF.
Promotion begins Saturday, September 1 at noon CT and ends Friday, September 21 at noon CT. Librarians and members of the public are all encouraged to participate. Join the celebration and tell the world your #MyLibraryIsIncredible story!
3. Help spread the word.
- It’s #LibraryCardSignUp Month! Celebrate by visiting your #library this September to get your very own library card. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp
- To get the school year off to the best possible start, sign up for a #library card today! http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignUp Month #LibrariesTransform
- What’s the most important school supply that doesn’t cost a penny? A #library card! Get one this September. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignUp Month
- Check out something incredible at your #library! September is #LibraryCardSignUp Month! http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp
- Find your super powers at the library by signing up for a #library card! September is #LibraryCardSignUp Month. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp
- If you love the Incredibles be sure to visit your #library for movies, comics and much more. http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignUp Month
- Do something incredible – get your #library card today! http://bit.ly/LibraryCardSignUp #LibraryCardSignUp Month #LibrariesTransform
Library Card Sign-up Month History
The campaign started in 1987 as a response to then Secretary of Education William Bennett, who stated, “Let’s have a campaign … Every child should obtain a library card and use it.” Read a detailed account in this 2015 blog post at the American Library Association Archives, A Library Card for Every Child: Library Card Sign-Up Month, by Cara Bertram.
We'd like to hear what your library has planned for Library Card Sign-up Month or answer your questions. Contact us at campaign.ala.org
Library Card Sign-up Month is made possible with support from:
Thank you to Disney Publishing Worldwide for offering The Incredbles as 2018 Library Card Sign-up Month Honorary Chairs!
For 25 years OverDrive has been on a mission to provide access to compelling, easy-to-use digital materials that reach, engage, and satisfy readers. Since 2002 we have worked with ALA member libraries to invest how libraries lend eBooks and digital audiobooks. In the spirit of continuous improvement and best practices, together with ALA we are engaged in library advocacy with publishers and authors to provide fair lending models and costs. Visit Overdrive.com to learn more.
ALA Library Champions support ALA’s efforts in raising public awareness about the value of libraries and librarians.