WHO: The Higher Colleges of Technology – Ras Al Khaimah Men’s campus
WHAT: International libraries, such as the academic ones at the Higher Colleges of Technology, are adapting the Libraries Transform campaign to best fit their communities.
WHEN: Special Libraries Transform events and activities took place during Library Week, March 12 to 16, 2017
WHERE: United Arab Emirates
WHY: The Higher Colleges of Technology – Ras Al Khaimah Men’s campus wanted to join other libraries in the United Arab Emirates to celebrate the many ways all types of libraries are making a difference in people’s lives and communities through programs, services and the expertise of librarians. They decided to adopt the use of the Libraries Transform campaign during Library Week to recognize the contributions of the country’s libraries and staff as well as promote and support the use of the school’s libraries.
HOW: The Higher Colleges of Technology Ras Al Khaimah Men’s campus planned a series of highly interactive Library Week events and activities to help students, faculty and staff discover the fun and enjoyment that libraries provide every day.
To better engage students and increase participation during Library Week, the library:
- Created a specially themed Libraries Transform photo booth to encourage image sharing on social media
- Invited authors for book signings in the library
- Held a book donation competition between the different academic programs
- Provided library patrons the opportunity to browse rare books at the National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah Exhibit at the library
- Ran a contest for library users to write their own “Because” statements. Examples included “Because sometimes you need someone to help you, sometimes you need someone to talk to and sometimes you need friends”; and “Because reading is living.”
According to Librarian Muram Abdelmageed, they found the Libraries Transform easy to customize for their libraries. She said judging from all the comments she received about the Libraries Transform theme and activities, Library Week was a big success among all the students and faculty.