The Libraries Transform Campaign, an initiative of the American Library Association (ALA), is designed to increase public awareness of the value, impact and services provided by libraries and library professionals. The campaign will ensure there is one clear, energetic voice for our profession, showcasing the transformative nature of today’s libraries and elevating the critical role libraries play in the digital age.
- Awareness: Increase awareness of and support for the transforming library.
- Perception: Shift perception of library from “obsolete” or “nice to have” to essential.
- Engagement: Energize library professionals and build external advocates to influence local, state and national decision-makers.
One Main Idea
Libraries today are less about what they have for people and more about what they do for and with people.
- Libraries transform lives.
- Libraries transform communities.
- Librarians are passionate advocates for lifelong learning.
- Libraries are a smart investment.
Components of the Libraries Transform Campaign
- Provocative branding (“Because…” statements) that surprise and catch attention of target audiences.
- Libraries Transform website.
- National, state and local implementation strategies and tactics.
- Engage ALA members in campaign planning and non-traditional touchpoint brainstorming.
- Provide ALA members with branded print and digital materials for local communication campaigns.
- Engage target audiences through interactive website with “Because…” statement generator/submission tool.
- Capitalize on existing ALA assets, e.g. Policy Revolution, National Library Week, Library Card Sign-Up Month, as “tent pole” events during life of campaign.
- Focus public service announcements on Libraries Transform campaign.
- Launch national social media campaign, #librariestransform.
For more information contact the ALA Office for Library Advocacy at email@example.com.
ALA's Library Champions: Investing In America's Libraries
ALA’s Library Champion program was launched by a select group of individual, corporate and foundation supporters who joined together to form a broad-based group to advocate for libraries and the library profession. Library Champions contribute annually to ALA’s nationwide strategic communications effort about the value and benefits of libraries.
Contributions support ALA's efforts to provide free public awareness materials and resources directly to libraries plus support the Association's national initiatives such as National Library Week and Library Card Sign Up Month. These special initiatives have been designed to increase public awareness of the importance of libraries as great democratic institutions, serving people of every age, income level, location, ethnicity, or physical ability.
When an individual, company or foundation becomes a Library Champion, they make a positive impact on libraries and the lives of their community members every single day. Children are overcoming hurdles and becoming stronger readers. Seniors and families who are living on less are getting information and advice. The unemployed are gaining job-hunting skills and getting the support and Internet access they need. Students and faculty consult with library personnel on their work requiring information resources.
Library Champions are among the greatest proponents of America's libraries. Their gift helps every child, young adult or adult who walks through a door at a library or links to their online resources from home or school. Individuals, companies and foundations can become a Library Champion by making a $5,000 contribution or more to support ALA’s public awareness and advocacy programs.