On February 27th one of the most powerful earthquakes in history devastated a large part of Chile. The earthquake, 240 miles southwest of the capitol of Santiago, and the 150 aftershocks extended over six regions, impacting over two million people and killing nearly 300 individuals.
Many libraries have been damaged or destroyed. Initial reports from 200 libraries have found that nearly 50% have been damaged, and at least six completely destroyed by the earthquakes and the subsequent tsunami.
- Quake Shatters Chile's Public Library Services (American Libraries, March 2010)
DONATE TO ALA’S CHILE LIBRARY RELIEF FUND
- Credit card: Please visit the ALA Development Office page (1. click on the GIVEALA logo, 2. Enter your ALA Login number and password or create a new record, 3. Go to "Fund Catergories", 4. Click on "ALA Major Initiatives", 5. Scroll down to ALA Chile Library Relief Fund, 6. Enter amount you wish to donate, 6. If finished, click the 'Checkout' box, 7. Review your transaction, 8. Click on "Add to basket", 9. Click on "Proceed with Checkout", 10. Enter your credit card information, 11. Click on 'Complete Order')
- Mail: Please print Donation Form (PDF file). Checks should be made out to "American Library Association" with a notation for Chile and sent to: c/o International Relations Office, American Library Association, 50 E. Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611-2795
ALA encourages libraries to undertake group fundraising efforts.
STATEMENTS FROM ALA AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS
- ALA Press Release
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- Statements from Library Associations in Argentina and Nicaragua (in Spanish)
DISASTER PREPAREDNESS RESOURCES
- Heritage Preservation: Webpage of the Heritage Emergency Task Force with resources for disaster recovery.
- Library of Congress: The Library of Congress has a webpage with resources for librarians on preservation and emergency preparedness and response.
For questions or comments, please contact the International Relations Office at email@example.com.