Ilovelibraries.org is ALA's Web site for the general public, a place where those outside of the library community learn more about the excitement and vitality of today's libraries, and in the process become active advocates for improving libraries of all types. It includes feature stories on what's happening in today's libraries, book reviews; ways for viewers to tell their library story and links to advocacy software which allows users to contact members of Congress.
We are encouraging members of the library community to use this Web site as a vehicle to tell the library story when we cannot –24/7. Likewise, we are encouraging those members to contribute their story to Ilovelibraries.org. New articles are posted on Ilovelibraries.org every two weeks.
- QUERIES: Do you have an idea for an article but aren’t sure it’s a good fit? . Please send queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Informal, but informative. Factual articles must be inviting and readable, with all statements backed by responsible research and interviews. Authors are responsible for accuracy in the article, including all names
- Submit a separate cover page stating the author’s name, title, a brief descriptive title of the proposed article, and an abstract summarizing the content of the article.
- The Chicago Manual of Style (15th ed.) may be used in styling articles for publication and consulted for capitalization, abbreviations, etc.
- Write in a clear, simple style. Use the active voice whenever possible. Avoid overly long sentences. Break up long sections of text with subheadings. All nouns, verbs, pronouns, and modifiers in the subhead should be capitalized.
- If you have specific urls that you would like to appear in your article, please be sure to list them fully and correctly.
- Editors may revise accepted articles for clarity, accuracy, and readability, consistent with publication style and intended audience. Ilovelibraries is under no obligation to publish articles received.
- FORMAT: Electronic submissions in Word format are preferred and should be sent to email@example.com.
- PHOTOGRAPHS: Photos and images are preferred in gif or jpeg form. Please include captions for each photo and/or image submitted.
- LENGTH: Feature articles should run between 500-1500 words. Library Showcase articles should run between 300-500 words.
- PAYMENT: ilovelibraries.org does not offer honoraria for submissions.
- EXCLUSIVE SUBMISSION: Please indicate if article has been or is being considered for publication elsewhere.
- RIGHTS: Submission of an article grants the American Library Association the exclusive and perpetual rights to publish, use, edit, adapt, modify, excerpt and/or copy the article for any and all purposes in any and all media currently in existence or hereafter without further compensation to the writer.
- ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: We will acknowledge your article when we receive it. We make decisions to accept or reject articles as quickly as possible. The review process usually takes between six to eight weeks, but sometimes longer when we receive larger volumes of articles.
- PUBLICATION DATE: On acceptance, an estimated date of publication may be provided to the author.
- EDITING: On accepted articles, the editors reserve the right to make editorial revisions, deletions, or additions which, in their opinion, support the author's intent. When changes are substantial, every effort is made to work with the author.